English

Crisis looms as Haiti 2nd-round presidential campaigning kicks off – Daily Times


Candidate Jude Celestin “will not launch his campaign and will not participate in the January 24 voting” until recommendations that an independent electoral commission presented earlier are fully implemented, his campaign spokesman Augustin Jinaud told AFP. Celestin, the runner-up in Haiti’s first-round vote in October, had earlier refused to campaign until an independent electoral commission was established to study voting problems. That commission issued a series of recommendations that included an end to voting in private homes and the use of indelible ink on voter’s thumb to prevent multiple voting. Not all of the recommended measures have been implemented.President Michel Martelly “has not held elections in five years and now he urges us to join in this electoral masquerade, which we cannot condone,” Jinaud said. Meanwhile Celestin’s government-backed rival, Jovenel Moise, was out campaigning Friday in the affluent Port-au-Prince suburb of Petionville.“An election belongs to the people and we must work for their confidence,” Moise told AFP. “My strategy is to go out and make contact with the population, walk with it, talk with the public.“But in my opinion, (Celestin) is also campaigning, because he has gone back and forth across the country,” Moise said. In the October 25 first-round election, Moise drew 32.8 percent of the vote against 25.3 percent for Celestin, who dismissed the results as a “ridiculous farce.”

Source: Daily TimesHaiti Elections

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s