English

Former Haiti PM Lamothe’s presidential bid rejected | Miami Herald


Former Haitian Prime Minister Laurent Lamothe is among three individuals whose candidacy for president is being recommended for disqualification by electoral judges.

Of the 70 people who filed to run for president, the candidacies of 23, including Lamothe, were contested. Judges have recommended to elections officials that 13 be allowed to move forward. No opinion was given in seven of the cases, including that of former Police Chief Mario Andresol and Foreign Minister Duly Brutus, according to a list posted late Tuesday by Haiti’s Provisional Electoral Council (CEP) and read over radio airwaves.

Rejected candidates or citizens now have 72 hours to challenge the recommendations to an appeals board for final arbitration.

Lamothe lawyer Salim Succar says he plans to appeal the judges’ decision. Succar had previously gone to court and received a judge’s order that said Lamothe should be allowed to compete in the elections.

The much-anticipated announcement came on the same day that Haiti’s largest human rights group reprimanded the council for overlooking criminal allegations involving some of the candidates it qualified to run in the scheduled Aug. 9 legislative race, as well as some of the presidential hopefuls. via Miami Herald

.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s